So You're Dog Ate Chocolate. Now What?!


 

Although Fido likes to be a part of every family holiday, and rightfully should be, there should always be safety precautions taken. Easter is known as a holiday filled with lots of candy and even more so, chocolate. As we have always known, dogs aren't suppose to eat chocolate or really any high sugar foods. Chocolate is not only a sugary candy but can actually be toxic in large amounts! Here is what the interwebs have to say! 

"Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound theobromine. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets at certain doses. Chocolate poisoning is a problem that occurs mainly in dogs but also occurs occasionally in cats or other animals."

Your Dog Ate Chocolate. Now What?

Typically, your dog will vomit on his own. If not, your vet might want you to give him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up -- 1 tablespoon for every 20 pounds, Wismer says. You can use a turkey baster or a medicine dropper to give him the liquid.

 

Dark chocolates, baking chocolate, and dry cocoa powder are more dangerous than white or milk chocolate. But 1 ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight could still be deadly.

And unlike most cats, which don’t have a sweet tooth, dogs will eat almost anything. They also don’t know when they’re full, “They will eat as much as they can get ahold of. A 10-pound dog can easily eat a pound of chocolate.” 

So this Easter make sure to keep your candy and chocolates to the humans. If you don't, you'll have a sick pup and find a whole new kind of chocolate all over your home! 💩💩💩💩💩💩🐣


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published